Six and a half years ago our family purchased our first home. The steady one has chastized me ever since that, "You don't get Satterfield Drive for what we paid for our house." Satterfield Drive is where the really nice houses were when we bought our house. So, for six and a half years ... literally, people ... we have been remodeling our home. Once in awhile we make huge progress. Most of the time we buy a couple pieces of sheet rock at a time, or studs, or doors, or whatever. My father was just chuckling at our back door, which still has not been moved to it's correct place. Unfortunately, part of this mind-boggling process has been that the people who owned the house never did anything correctly. When taking apart our kitchen, we discovered that one entire shelf was not anchored to anything but studs on either end. What?!!! I had all my heavy dishes in there. Good thing it never fell off the wall. Our bathroom came without outlets. How did anyone ever get ready in there? Recently, we finished sheet rocking our new and improved bedroom. When the steady one started to spray texture in one corner of the ceiling, we discovered (the hard way, as usual) that there had been a water leak at some time in the past and the wall board was rotted through. Nice. So, our bedroom has sat and sat and sat in that condition. Waiting for me to find more money to buy sheetrock and fix the corner. The steady one completed it this weekend. It's painted. The floor will probably not have new floor coverings until next year, so he put our nice, big bed back in our bedroom. It's beautiful. I am so excited. I can move our clothes into our bedroom from the sweet one's room. She can have her room back. I can have my own room. This is a major accomplishment for our family. We are now wishing for money for studs for the shower that is going to be in the bathroom adjacent to my bedroom. We frequently say, "I wish I had $300 for. . . ." I hope we finish it before we have to move someday.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
You know I feel your pain. I love looking around our house and seeing all that has been done- it's truly amazing to see the transformation that has taken place over the last 7 years.But.....There's always another section of the house that needs to be done, always another project to start. Slow and steady wins the race....
I KNOW! We're right with ya', babe. There is always something itching in the back of my brain that needs to be done, but can't be done. In the mean time, let's celebrate the progress! Hooray!!
Post a Comment