Friday, April 23, 2010

Sister Susan

The Sweet One continues to grow up, even after I've asked her not to. She is so helpful. She loves her sister and helps with her all the time. She is learning to help with the house, even though she hates it as much as I do. She has been getting an allowance of $2.50 a month and we are slowly learning some saving skills. One of her good friends is allowed to go to a movie theater in our area without parnets, and my girl wants to do that. So, we are learning to let her be more independent. She asked to be allowed to stay home alone the last time I took the other kids to Costco. I was sorely tempted, but I wasn't sure how long I'd be gone and I was afraid it would be hours. So she came with us. Her favorite thing is to run to the store up the street for me. You'd be amazed at what a good little shopper she is.

She loves to dance. Her ballet is quite good and her facial expressions during her little hip hop routine are fantastic. Apparently, her teacher is teaching them to have "attitude." I said that's fine as long as you don't give it to your mom. She giggled at that.
Her grandfather always picked her up from dance on Wednesday evenings and took her for treats and then took her home with him. I think she misses him as much as I do. My dad never went anywhere by himself and this kid figured out if she went with him, he'd buy her whatever she wanted. He was always so impressed that she would make him buy something for everyone that was home. No one gets left out when The Sweet One is around. This is one of her favorite pictures.

She just scored an Advanced on her two ISAT tests at school. She's a smart kid. I know I always am saying how amazing genetics are, but the child's brain works exactly like her Dad's. It's startling sometimes. She reads aloud (My Steady One is not a fast reader) and she would rather be digging in the dirt or picking something apart than reading. She has joined a book club and enjoys reading the books picked out for it. Right now she is hurrying to finish James and the Giant Peach.

Everything that she does captivates her full attention. She doesn't let up and doesn't give up on anything (except keeping her room clean). I love her little contradictions, sweet as sugar but determined as a bull. Excessively kind but bossy as anything when she knows she's right. Easily influenced and charmed but stubborn as the brick wall. She's adorable and good and still innocent and sweet. She's one of my biggest joys.

0 comments: