Monday, September 27, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

Looking back, it's been almost 2 months since I last posted. Our lives have gotten extraordinarily crazy in that 2 months. I still haven't posted an entire blog dedicated to The Sweet One, but I'll get to it this week. I hope. Things we have done recently:
1. Went to the pool. We only made it 1 time this entire summer. We also didn't make it boating, at all. Which is so sad. We have plenty (as in 4 siblings, etc.) that own boats and live close enough that we could have shared a special day. I didn't get it done. (I didn't get that done has become my standard, go-to answer recently.)
2. Went camping. Came home early with a very sick baby. All that work! The packing, the organizing, the planning! Did I mention the packing? The Happy One was running a high fever (about 103) and after the episodes she had last year, where she would seize with such a high fever, we decided to just go home. The kids were so disappointed. It was our sole camping trip this summer. While The Steady One's schedule has been fabulous! we didn't make use of his time to go adventuring.
3. Went to Island Park with my ENTIRE family. It was so lovely. A life-long friend of our mother's offered the use of his cabin. It was exquisite. Like nothing I've ever stayed in. We played in the town of West Yellowstone, played in the hot tub, ate a lot of good food, watched movies, played games, and played outside on four wheelers and dirt bikes. I ended up being "the mother" for the trip, and did most of the planning, and quite a bit of the packing, unpacking, cooking and cleaning. Oh, to be a child again and not to have to worry about it. I could write a poem about how much I hate going anywhere as the mom.
4. Started SCHOOL! I know, it makes me a horrible parent, with lax instincts and nurturing skills. I WAS SO READY FOR SCHOOL! If I had to force one more chore or complain about how much tv/computer time was being wasted..... well, let's just say I was ready to send my big kids back. They were ready, too. We had a great first day. We had an orthodontist appointment that day. I had made the appointment two months before, and it was for 2 weeks after school had started. Then the school district moved the first day of school. So... we went to our appointment. Still, at least they didn't miss anything. Right? The Funny One has the same teacher as last year, as our school does combined classes. I have loved that their teacher's have had a chance to get to know them and tailor their style to my individual kids over a 2 year period. The Sweet One has a new teacher, Mrs. Ward. She is so excited because her teacher also teaches dance at the studio where we dance. So fun. Which leads us to....
5. We started dance, again. I make the trip 3 days a week, M at 3:30, Tues at 4 and again at 5 (to pick one up and drop one off) and again at 6:30, and Thurs at 5 and pick up at 6:30. The Wild One is doing a little tumble class this year (it was really cheap by the time I had registered the two big kids, and I felt guilty because I so often neglect him). He LOVES it. He has shown me a crab walk, or a bear walk, or a forward roll so many times since we started! I am so happy that he has something to do. The two big kids also added a tumble class. The Funny One because it will help with the "tricks" he is learning in his hip-hop class. And The Sweet One because she REALLY wants to learn to do back hand springs. I wanted her to enroll in a fancy ballet academy, but she loves the jazz and hip-hop routines. So we stayed put.
6. The Wild One also started pre-school. We decided to do it more for a social aspect than an academic one. Let's face it, this kid is stinkin' smart. He knows and identifies all his letters. He can put a 50 piece puzzle, with tiny pieces, together all by himself. The only thing he can't do, that is needed for Kindergarten (in two years) is write his name. The only reason he can't write his name is because I don't practice with him. He navigates the computer by himself and can run Netflix for his baby sister. It's nuts!! My mother keeps commenting on what I should do with him, because it's bizarre how quickly he figures things out and puts them together. I think the puzzles satisfy his OCD, that need that he has to put everything in a place. I think it's wonderful.
7. We all got new callings. Our ward was recently split. Population wise, it was split pretty even. (Or so we were told) Unfortunately, the other ward seemed to get 75% of the active members of the ward. I'm now so busy that I can't function without a huge list of to-dos on my fridge and a neighbor (our dearest Chelsey) who checks on me and makes sure I'm getting everything done. I'm now the 1st Counselor in the Primary. I am in charge of the music, the Primary Program (which is in a couple weeks and HADN'T EVEN BEEN STARTED!), and Activity Days. I have the program mostly written and complete. I hope it turns out well. I'm also our ward organist. Apparantly, the other ward now has 5 competant organists and we have, well, we have me! I am barely adequate. Still, I'm willing to learn and grow into a better organist which is more than anyone else in the ward can say. Finally, I am our Stake Music Director. I also have Stake Conference in a couple weeks and am in charge of that music. I got heckled at choir practice last night, for picking music that was simple and allowing people to come and sing after however many or few practices they could attend. I was told, "That's simply not right! It's an insult to those of us who came to practice! I just won't come anymore, because if they don't need to practice than neither do I!" I was completely taken aback and am not yet over it. I finally quietly told her that everyone has different lives and since this was a volunteer, Stake choir, we would accept anyone and everyone. She was very upset and huffed away after telling me that she'll be complaining to the Stake President. Sheesh! My darling husband is the 1st counselor in the Young Men's and has become my counselor when I can't do it all. HA!
8. We had two birthdays!! The Sweet One turned 10 and The Wild One turned 4. It was so great. We had little parties for them and it went well. We just had two little friends over for the 4 year old's big day. It was so sweet and we just let them run around and had cup cakes. The Sweet One's party was a little more high maintenance. I ended up giving pedicures to 6 giggly, little girls. She was so insistent that we have a party, because she didn't get one last year. I was so flustered trying to take care of all those girls, I didn't get a single picture. They had a blast, though. I was so happy to have them. She has good friends.
9.We are also going through some interesting phases:
The Steady One is adjusting to his new job. He is well loved at his work place. I'm so thrilled that he loves it. He has put off work on his Master's Project as he has settled in, but hopes to get into a good groove and finish the Project by December. Then he'll be all set to graduate with his Masters. We are very proud of him. It's been a difficult journey. He finished teh coursework in 3 semesters and that is a HUGE accomplishment. I'm afraid I ask too much of him sometimes.
The Sweet One is having a little bit of a defiant stage. She is asserting her independence and growing up. She bought herself a CD player with a gift card she got from my mother. She now listens to music in her room, really loud. So funny! I remember doing that! The Funny One continues to do things his way. It's been such a battle. He hates doing chores and wants to play the computer or the Wii constantly. I'm at my wit's end and have decided to just ride it out. He may not ever grow out of it. Sigh. The Wild One grows a little more every day. I love his age!! It's so great! And The Happy One is my devil child. She makes a million messes a day. She hits and punches and kicks her brothers. She is completely in control of my life (she thinks). I spend a lot of time listening to her cry. She is FULL BLOWN A TERRIBLE TWO!
I have been struggling to accomplish all I need to. I seem to be in a bit of a funk and am tired. Very, very tired. I still work every day from 5 am to 7:30 am. Then come home and be a happy housewife. It's difficult to juggle the cleaning, the playing, etc. I get tired of telling the kids, "I'll be there in a minute, I just want to pick up the kitchen." or "I'm changing the laundry" or whatever I'm doing. I have had a crappy summer and seem to be judged and found lacking at every instance. I'm clearly not a good parent, I don't discipline enough (WHAT? It's all I do!) and my kids are naughty, while my house is a mess. I can't take the kids anywhere and I am sick of it!! So, I am here to say! People, quit judging. Quit making definitive statements, like "Oh, if my kid did that..." Quit being so harsh. It's hard enough to be a parent without all of that. Be supportive. Share the load. Laugh it off. Be grateful it's not you! That is all. I'm finished. Wow! What a long blog post! I hope to have pictures posted of the few things I got pictures of. :D Oh, well. I guess add lack of pictures to my failures as a mother!!! However, despite all of this, I am happy. (It doesn't sound like it, though! Weird! I really am!) I am adjusting to my new schedule and life style. I've been grateful for what I can do. We keep moving forward and hopefully, adjusting and becoming better.

2 comments:

Jami said...

I love that you're crazy busy! It seems the older the kids get, the crazier it gets. It's always crazy, just a different kind. I do have to say I'm sorry someone was such a putz at church choir. I mean, SERIOUSLY? Did she really have to be so judgmental! She obviously didn't hear President Monson's talk just the night before! She should wash her windows! Love ya!

Jami said...

PS apparently I shouldn't be so judgmental of her either. sorry about that...