As most mothers know, repetition is a means whereby a concept can be learned. Most people say practice makes perfect, but I had a choir director who said "Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect." So, we would do things over and over and over until they satisfied him. Unfortunately, this phase has returned to my life in the form of children. All day long, I repeat myself over and over. An average day begins with me telling the big two: "It's time to get up, or you'll be late for school;" "Finish eating your breakfast;" and/or "Did you get your teeth brushed? Get in there and do it!" Each phrase must be repeated at least 4 times. In this manner, I am teaching my children that the only way to get them ready is by hollering at them. Then we start for school. The wild one says, "N'going, mama? N'going?" To which I say, "We're going to school." Only for him to say "N'going, mama? N'going? N'going, mama?" again four steps later. We deliver the children, returning home with "N'going, mama?" again, but this time my reply is, "Home." Upon arriving at home, I beginning bouncing the new one, repeating Shush, shush, shush in trios while I try to put her down for a nap. This is followed by the wild one dumping something out, and I clean it up. Today is was an entire box of cereal. I attempt to load the dishwasher as he attempts to unload it. At this point, I repeat the words, "Stop it!" for the rest of the morning until he goes down for his nap. Once nap is over, we go again ("N'going, mama?" the entire way again) to pick up the children. We practice spelling words on the way home. Spell, bike. B - i-k-e. Spell dirt. D-i-r-t. Spell bike. b-i-k-e. Spell dirt. You get the picture.
Ahhh, my favorite part of the day. Now we try to get our chores done. I won't quote myself exactly as the words are not appropriate for this blog. Perhaps two hours later, the older children have made their beds and picked up their rooms. Possibly someone vacuumed. More likely, they haven't. MOST likely, mama's little face is red.
Finally, we begin the preparation of supper. This is the point in the day when I constantly repeat what I am making and when it will be ready and that no one can eat until I have supper cooked. This is followed by reading time. The Sweet One has instructions to read her library book every day. The Funny One only likes to read a certain few books. The Wild One insists that I read one of the Sandra Boynton books, again. Red Hat, Blue Hat, Green Hat, oops! Then we put on pajamas for bed.
And, later...... as I get ready for bed...... I look forward to doing it all again tomorrow.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Lather, rinse, REPEAT
Posted by The Strange and Awkward One at 12:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
AAHHH, the life of a mother is great isn't it! I feel like the only thing that has come out of my mouth all day is "pick that up, come on guys when you make a mess clean it up !" I"ll bet that I've said those words at least 40 times today! Maybe one day they'll start doing it, or maybe one day I won't care, Yah, I don't think so....
Post a Comment