So everybody has a soap box. I think I have more than one. So today my soap box is about my kids. I know that Heavenly Father sent me the kids I have complete and intact with their personalities. He has entrusted them to me for a reason. I choose not to stifle those personalities. Thus, my kids are a little busy and a little wild. There are many who suggest that I "discipline them," either more or better or longer. I suggest to them that when I strike them, it is typically in anger, and it does them and I no good. My naughty corner has a permanent grease mark from the noses that get put there. However, there are many things that I don't believe require "discipline." I don't want them to hit one another, curse, bite, etc. That doesn't mean they won't fight. It doesn't mean I'll interfere every time they fight. Just because it bothers you that they run, they wrestle, they challenge each other and me, they talk and sing and dance DOESN'T MEAN IT BOTHERS ME. It's hard for me to take all the critizism and smile and do my own thing. Everybody has an opinion. I try to take it for what it's worth. I am certainly doing my best and trying to be patient with them. Maybe I let them get away with too much. I pray, though, that like a dear friend recently told me, that these strong personalities will be responsible for leading the next generation. That same person told me that she is SURE that Captain Moroni was not a perfect child, that he had spirit and spunk. Thank you, Nadia, for recognizing something in my children to liken them to giants. I love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Amen, sistah! One of the myriad reasons we didn't send Ike to school was because I was sure some misdirected teacher would recommend he take some drug so that he would be the same and everyone else. I knew that he was just an active boy and, though he is still a spirited child, he has grown into himself.
But, of course, I think you and I are similar parents. You know what they say about great minds, don't you?
i think that you do a spectacular job raising your children. I hope that nothing I said or joked about this weekend made you feel like you are not doing a good job. Let them be free.
I have a feeling that I know where all this frustration stems from. I was commenting to mak after our weekend of fun how impressed I am by you. Here you are with 4 beautiful children, working full time, being a great mom and supporting your graduate student husband. Talk about super woman!
I am sure it must be so frustrating to be scrutinized by others about your parenting. I am sorry that you were made to feel like you aren't a great mom. Anyone who is a mom knows what a tough job it is (I am not a mom and am always impressed by those who are!) Anyone who spends an ounce of time with your kids will know that those sweet spirits didn't happen by luck, they came from a great mom (Matt probably contributed as well!)
YOu have some of the sweetest children I know and I think I enjoyed doing tricks on the tramp with them more than they did.
Post a Comment